Friday, February 3, 2023

Ready Player One (2018)

In the year 2045, the real world is a harsh place. The only time Wade Watts truly feels alive is when he escapes to the OASIS, an immersive virtual universe where most of humanity spends their days. In the OASIS, you can go anywhere, do anything and be anyone. The only limits are your imagination. The OASIS was created by the brilliant and eccentric James Halliday, who left his immense fortune and total control of the Oasis to the winner of a three-part contest he designed to find a worthy heir. When Wade conquers the first challenge of the reality-bending treasure hunt, he and his friends, The High Five, are hurled into a fantastical universe of discovery and danger to save the OASIS. Ready Player One is my favourite film. I know I have said that for many others already, but besides Star Wars, it holds the title of my all-time number-one favourite. I just can't help but simply adore this piece of Spielberg magic in every way. I know it may be with its flaws but to me, it is just perfect. I have always had a great appreciation for the vast collection of pop culture media. Movies, shows, video games, and music have all had such impacts on me and remain the highlights of my interests. Being a huge fan of all eras for their media, particularly the 1980s, I found this film truly connecting with my love and passion for references to other titles and times scattered throughout this epic film, even going as far as to amplify them. This film doesn't hold back with these references either, it goes all out. There are far too many for me to count and mention here, especially since I, and so many others, are still finding new things on later viewings. If you want a proper in-depth look at all the easter eggs and connections and want my respected reviews of those productions, check out the Ready Player One References Page. My favourite reference in the whole film is easily the appearance of the Delorean from Back to the Future (1985) combined with the light sensor off of K.I.T.T. from Knight Rider (TV Series 1982-1986). To mix the two into one easter egg is unbelievably cool and makes up my dream car. The best part about it is we get to see our main lead Parzival use it in the opening challenge, the race, which is by far one of the best scenes in the movie and a fantastic way to begin this adventure. It is simply amazing to see so many iconic cars racing against one another whilst dodging other movie references from a T-rex to King Kong himself. Alongside the overflowing references, this film has many other entertaining qualities and factors. Each of the characters has some great chemistry that feels like they are real friends. Their friendships and relationships only grow as the film progresses and the hardships they come by. I really like all the members of The High Five both in their real life and digital counterparts who have some amazing costumes and designs but my personal favourite is Wade/Parzival. The visual effects on display here are outstanding being some of the finest I have ever seen in movie history. It brings the virtual world of the OASIS to life and is simply breathtaking, making me wish all the more it was real. They did a superb job of swapping between the two realities just enough so that it didn't feel like constantly jumping back and forth. The challenge set in place is also very interesting, setting the task of collecting 3 keys for control of the world and its ownership. This challenge is partaken by the masses in the form of 'Gunters' (egg hunters) however some don't seek it for the fun, like our antagonist, Innovative Online Industries (IOI) CEO, Nolan Sorrento. He uses several indentured servants and employees called 'Sixers' to find the egg. They constantly interfere with the challenge and set up a rivalry against Parzival and his friends. Overall, this film is my everything. It is one I have seen multiple times and will continue to keep checking out. Ready Player One offers some exciting escapism filled with a fascinating story, beautiful visuals, entertaining references, enjoyable characters and heaps of imagination. If you haven't seen it already, this is a true cinema experience to fall in love with.

Runtime: 2h 20m
Director: Steven Spielberg

Related Sites and Media:



Movie Trailer:


Movie Clip:


My DVD Copy:

No comments:

Post a Comment